Health has played a pivotal role in all of our lives this year. We are now at the end of 2020, which means we’ve reached another checkpoint in our health goals.
Here’s a deeper dive to some trends into this year:
- Turmeric is a considered a nootropic (substance improving cognitive function). The root alone cannot be absorbed in the body by itself. It needs piperine (found in black pepper), to act as a catalyst to absorb the key compounds called curcuminoids (aka curcumin), the active ingredient in turmeric, in order to provide its maximum benefits. Proper dosage for curcuminoids is somewhere between 500 – 2000mg (2.5 tsp of raw turmeric: 500mg)
- Curcumin is the substance that has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties
- Cannabidiol (CBD) is just one of the many types of cannabinoids found in the Cannabis plant. Another common compound is known as delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). They both differentiate as CBD reduces anxiety while THC is psychoactive which releases dopamine from the brain to produce the high effect. CBD is also found in hemp, which contains less than 0.3% of THC, while the other contains more.
- Research has shown that high-fat meals increase CBD blood levels by 3- to 5-fold.
- Too much can have side effects such as fatigue, headache/nausea
- Most of us love this sparking beverage that contains probiotics which are live bacteria that helps fight of the bad ones to promote better gut health.
- Like any sparkling beverage, it can damage teeth : Its high acidic level that may be harmful to your teeth and gums, especially when some drinks contain lots of sugar
- Of course drinking these too often can lead to digestive problems, especially to those with IBS.
- Did you know plant-based meat are highly processed? As great of an alternative they are to the actual thing, they sometimes contain even more fats, sodium, calories, and sugar as the real thing!
- Click here to read more about the different types of alternatives and their benefits
- Juicing is a great way to get our fruits and vegetables in all in one go, but the machine can be costly (and the time to clean up!)
- In the process of juicing, not all the food gets consumed. Most of its micronutrients gets stripped to the “trash” let alone fiber. You’re better off making a smoothie, or just eating the actual foods itself.
- Essential oils are plant extracts. When inhaled (aromatherapy), their compounds are absorbed through receptors in our noses, sending a message to our olfactory system to respond to the smell. Lavender is a popular scent for consumers as it acts as a relaxant for them.
- It is not recommended to apply directly. It can harm skin and lead to a rash or internal health condition because it enters the bloodstream, then in the liver.
- Going on keto has been one of the biggest fad over the last few years. The point of keto does not just mean to cut carbohydrates out, but to the point where your body goes into ketosis to convert your fat into energy since it ran our of carbohydrates.
- Low carb, not no carb -> opt for potatoes as your carbs. It gets you full with less calories than rice! Click here to find out the different health benefits of potatoes!
- Ketosis can only happen with a diet of: Carbs 5-20% Carbs; fats 55-60%, more than 35% = no ketosis
- Middle-chain Triglyceride (MCT) oils are popular in these diets not just because they contain less calories than regular oils, but they travel in the gut faster than long-chain triglyceride. MCTs enters into your cells without needing to be broken down to be used as energy by creating ketones.
What are some new goals for 2021? Or why not now, it doesn’t have to wait till then!